The perfect fried rice must be chewy with a crispy texture. It is arduous to describe its taste because it takes the flavor of the spices and ingredients used, which depends on the region it belongs to.
Although fried rice can take diverse flavors, it contains precooked rice, vegetables, eggs, and meat, seasoned with soy sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce.
Different types of fried rice
Fried rice is a popular dish in Asia, particularly in East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asian countries.
They include China, Japan, Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
The earliest known fried rice is the Chinese fried rice created during the Sui dynasty.
It is the reference dish for all types throughout the world. Many of them have their specific ingredients and flavors.
- Chinese fried rice also has varieties because each region added its local ingredients. Yangzhou fried rice is the most popular fried rice in China. It includes chicken, barbecued pork, egg, rice, and onions cooked in chicken broth and soy sauce.
- Some other popular fried rice is Thai fried rice. It contains meat like chicken, shrimp, and pork; egg, onions, garlic, and tomatoes seasoned with soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and chili sauce.
- Japanese fried rice is also well-known around the world. It has barbecued pork or ham, shiitake mushrooms, green onions, peas, and garlic, cooked with sesame oil, soy sauce, and fish sausage.
- For the Korean part, fried rice is delicious. It encloses intense flavors like onions, garlic, kimchi juice, and gochujang, cooked with sesame oil.
Forget about takeout fried rice
You have perhaps tried any of these fried rice dishes; it may be all of them and many more. You have eaten them in restaurants or as fast food.
Fried rice is undoubtedly one of the most beloved take-out meals worldwide. Its taste, texture, and availability make it the perfect dish of all time.
Restaurant fried rice is exquisite, bringing authentic Asian fried rice closer to you. They taste different from homemade versions.
But making fried rice at home is not impossible. By following these tips you can cook genuine fried rice displaying all Asian flavors, like this https://successrice.com/recipes/easy-shrimp-fried-rice/
Making fried rice on your own
When you master the technique and proper ingredients, you can create your version of fried rice. It can include your preferred vegetables and meats seasoned with your favorite sauces.
Remember to follow these tips to keep the basic elements of true fried rice.
- Use long-grain rice.
- Try to use day-old rice, leftover rice, or at least cold rice.
- Fry in a wok or a big skillet.
- Stir with a big spatula.
- Cook at high temperature.
- Prepare, chop and have all the ingredients ready to use.
- Do the frying quickly. Do not overcook the ingredients.
Now, you are ready to prepare your first fried rice at home. This time the recipe is about traditional Chinese fried rice.
Yangzhou fried rice
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 cups of leftover white rice.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- ½ cup of green peas.
- ½ cup of diced carrot.
- 8 shelled and deveined shrimp.
- ¼ cup of diced char siu pork (Chinese ham).
- 1 beaten large egg.
- Salt and white pepper to taste.
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- 2 chopped green onions.
- Prepare all your ingredients in separate bowls.
- Take the leftover rice and carefully separate the grains. You can use your hands or a fork. Set aside.
- Place a wok or big skillet on high heat. Pour olive oil and wait until it gets hot.
- Add peas and carrots and sauté for one minute.
- Incorporate shrimp and diced char siu pork, and fry them. Take these ingredients out of the wok and reserve.
- Pour more oil into the wok and add the rice.
- Make a small hole in the center of the wok and add the beaten egg. Cook quickly and separate it into small pieces.
- Incorporate again green beans, carrots, shrimp and char siu pork, light soy sauce, salt, and white pepper.
- Stir fry all the ingredients for five minutes.
- Add green onions and cook for one minute.
- Try the seasoning and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Let it stand for five minutes and serve hot.