Here at Ciao Pittsburgh, we plan to post recipes for Italian-related food. We came across this recent recipe from the UPMC Health Plan. The quality ingredients below will help you make a nutritious, savory Tortellini soup. If you have any recipes you’d like to share with our readers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 cup dried Great Northern beans
¼ cup brown lentils
¼ cup green split peas
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon chicken broth granules
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon instant minced garlic
½ teaspoon thyme
¾ cup dried tortellini
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (optional)
1 cup coarsely chopped celery (optional)
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse beans.
- Put into a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cover. Simmer until the beans are tender (1¼ to 1½ hours).
- Add 4 cups water, the remaining ingredients, and the chopped carrots and celery if desired.
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer ½ hour, until tortellini and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Yields 6 (1½ cup) servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 210 calories, 13g protein, 37g carbohydrate, 2g fat, 5mg cholesterol, 11g fiber, 270mg sodium.