Mold is the cause of more than one headache for homeowners. Not only is it unsightly, but it also causes a variety of health problems. Discover the common health risks associated with mold exposure.
Recognizing the Health Risks
You may begin to experience an array of allergic symptoms after mold exposure. These symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Watery or itchy eyes
- Difficulty breathing
You could experience more severe symptoms depending on your sensitivity to mold, and these issues can intensify when indoors. Mold also affects air quality, meaning you continue to breathe in the spores while in your house. Additionally, specific molds produce mycotoxins, which cause incredibly serious illnesses.
Preventing Mold Growth in Your Home
Identifying the problem areas—usually places with high moisture—will help homeowners prevent mold problems. Mold spores can grow on just about any surface with adequate water, but there are a few common areas to watch.
Be on the lookout for leaky pipes, as excess water can quickly lead to mold damage. Your roof is another area that can leak and lead to mold. Periodically check the shingles to ensure everything is intact, and look in the attic for signs of water damage. Insulation is a common place for mold growth, and it can indicate a leak or excess moisture in the attic.
Dehumidifiers are great tools to utilize in spaces where you have excess moisture. Whenever you see a leak, fix it straight away. Ensure your bathrooms are well-ventilated to remove the humidity during hot showers. Mold-resistant paint can also help prevent mold from growing. If you experience a flood in your home, throw away anything that doesn’t dry within 24 to 48 hours.
Removing the Mold
The best way to eliminate mold is to fix the problem that caused mold to grow in the first place. If you don’t remedy the issue, mold will continue to grow back. Hire a professional to assess the damage; they can safely and effectively remove the mold while fixing any other issues to keep it from coming back.
Don’t allow mold to continue growing. Once you see or smell it, immediately begin remediating the problem. If you don’t, the problem could worsen and lead to the development of one or more common health risks associated with mold. At the end of the day, you don’t want to feel miserable in your home.