If you are a true rice connoisseur, you might be familiar with a few techniques to turn such a simple food into a delicacy fit for any occasion. Depending on the region, rice can be done in many tasty alternatives, whether it is for lunch, dinner or even dessert, this meal will always find its way to your table. Due to its adaptability and flavor-absorbing characteristic, there is no limit on how to include rice in your weekly meal plans.
A great number of rice recipes tend to rely a lot on the complements served along with the rice, considering chicken, meat, beans, vegetables and other sides as staples in your normal lunch. However, if you want to enhance the essence of these grains, continue reading to discover a fantastic recipe that can be enjoyed both salty and sweet!
We are talking of course about Coconut rice, a true ground-breaking, versatile and so easy to make dish that has crossed all borders around the world. The magic of this dish lies in its coconut essence and how well it pairs with almost any side. A great particularity of this meal is that, even though you can taste the coconut in every bite, the result is not overwhelming so you can enjoy a perfect balance.
If you want to try with the basics first, I highly suggest starting with a simple Coconut rice recipe following this link: https://mahatmarice.com/recipes/easy-coconut-rice/.
Now that you have mastered the preparation, it’s time for an upgrade. Let me show you a fantastic way to cook this fluffy and light rice:
Coconut rice bowl
Who doesn’t love a good bowl of goodies for lunch? This recipe will fill you with a good protein intake paired with a healthy amount of carbohydrates and fiber to leave you satisfied for a long time. Here is what you need:
For the Coconut rice
- 2 cups of rice (jasmine is ideal but other white rice is ok).
- 400 ml of coconut milk.
- 1 ¾ cups of water.
- 2 tsp. of yellow curry powder.
- 1 tsp. Sea salt (you may use a little less if you are using table salt).
- 1 tsp. Of minced or grated ginger.
For the protein
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- 20 gr of your protein of choice (you can use fish, chicken, shrimp or even tofu).
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp of minced lemongrass.
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger, minced or grated.
- 1 cup of green beans (you may also use broccoli, bell pepper or carrots).
- 2 green onions, chopped.
- 2 tbsp of lime juice.
- ¼ Cup of fresh cilantro.
Note: For sauce you can add 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Add the rice to a pot and pour the coconut milk, water, curry powder, salt and the ginger. Put on the lid and leave it until simmering. Cook for 20 minutes and turn off, let it rest until it’s time to serve.
- Heat a pan to medium-high and add one tbsp. of coconut oil and a sprinkle of salt. Add your protein and sear for about 3 minutes, flip over and sear another 3 minutes. Once finished, set it aside.
- For your veggies, in the same pan pour the other tbsp. of coconut oil and sauté your beans for 1 minute. Add garlic, lemongrass and ginger and proceed to stir over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until tender. Now include the green onions and 1 tbsp. of water to move around the pan and pick up any bits stuck to it. Cook for another minute.
- Moment of truth, it’s time to combine everything together, protein, vegetables and the mix of soy sauce with lime juice. Stir for a bit and remove from the heat.
- Serve! You will be happy to know this recipe yields up to six servings! You can also store in the fridge for a max of 3 days, just carefully reheat before serving.
That was certainly a feat. You might get overwhelmed with all this information but once you try it for the first time you realize how easy and practical it is.
You get a full on meal with a handful of ingredients all compressed in a bowl of yumminess. Before you know it, you will be showing around your own version of coconut rice bowl to impress all your family and friends.